Rochester Free Radio is a community-driven, listener-supported non-commercial radio station run by volunteers to provide locally-focused, locally-created information, conversation and entertainment. The goal of RFR is to help solidify the Rochester community by enjoying and celebrating our similarities and differences; our strengths and weaknesses; our ideas and curiosities. Rochester Free Radio broadcasts so that everyone in our community has the chance to interact and exchange ideas for the betterment of the entire community; in particular, those who do not presently have a voice in our local mainstream media.
As a non-profit radio station, WRFZ-LP allows sponsorships and advertisements in the form of underwriting. If you are interested in underwriting a specific program on WRFZ-LP or the station in general, please complete the form below or call (585) 315-7687 for more information.
What is Underwriting?
Underwriting is a form of sponsorship where your business receives a number of underwriting spots during the sponsored program. These underwriting spots identify the underwriter and provide factual information about the underwriter and/or its products and services. It is an acknowledgement to the listening audience of the underwriter’s commitment to WRFZ-LP, rather than simply a persuasive argument. Underwriting is unique to non-commercial stations.
As an underwriter, rather than an advertiser, you are associated with a particular program or format as a supporter or sponsor. You can also choose to sponsor the station in general in which the underwriting spots are played at agreed upon times. Additionally, all underwriters who buy a package of spots will be given banner placement on our Website as well as the same number of mentions on our social media as spots purchased.
Advantages to Underwriting on WRFZ-LP
- Exclusivity: Underwriting stands out on Rochester Free Radio. You will be the only underwriter mentioned at any given time. WRFZ-LP only plays underwriting from one sponsor per half-hour. There will not be an underwriting spot directly before or after yours. WRFZ-LP does not bombard listeners with loud, flashy spots.
- Community Audience: WRFZ-LP’s community audience differs from the average radio listener. Our listeners tune in not only for news and entertainment, but to engage with the rest of the community. We do not have passive listeners.
- Broadcast Mediums: In addition to broadcasting in the City of Rochester at 106.3 FM, WRFZ-LP also broadcasts online via our Website and the TuneIn Radio app. We will also mention your support in our social media channels as well.
- Diversity: WRFZ-LP is committed to broadcasting quality, diverse music. We also specialize in talk shows on local issues and music from local artists. By underwriting on our station, you will reach a loyal, diverse, local audience.
- Cost Effectiveness: The Board of Rochester Free Radio purposely set a low operating budget in order to avoid operating at a deficit. Therefore we do not need to set high underwriting rates. In addition, your underwriting spots will be professionally produced for a fraction of the cost charged by other radio stations.
- Support Local Noncommercial Radio: Rochester is home to a vast, diverse radio listening audience, yet much of commercial radio seems to cater towards a select, few tastes. WRFZ-LP provides a refreshing approach to radio and broadcasts music and programming not heard anywhere else on the dial.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) allows announcements to be made to identify the underwriter. This provides a higher community profile and a more philanthropic appearance than the average advertiser, but does require compliance with certain restrictions. The FCC mandates that announcements may not include:
- Comparative, Qualitative or Promotional language
- Calls to Action
- Pricing Information
- Inducements to Buy, Sell, or Lease
Please note that these rules do not relate to other non-profit organizations. Underwriting spots for non-profits are more flexible.
Underwriting Request Form
WRFZ-LP thanks you for your time and hopes that you will support us in the future, not only with your underwriting contributions, but with your valued listenership. Some language on this page adapted from WREK and WYEP.